Friday, May 10, 2013

The Great Gatsby


 

 Via
I am so excited for the opening of the latest film adaptation of The Great Gatsby this weekend. This has been my favorite book since I was a teenager and I have read and re-read it over many summers. In fact I am always on the hunt for an old edition of the book at every antique shop, estate sale and flea market that I go to - In the hopes of one day finding an original! 

The setting of the novel among the expensive estates of Long Island or "The Hamptons" is seduction enough to me. I have the guilty pleasure of wanting to be in attendance at one his extravagant parties among the socialites where the champagne flows and the music and dancing goes on and on - sometimes for days. I am captivated by the vision of Jay Gatsby dressed in all white standing on his expansive green lawn, against the backdrop of his beautiful mansion with its white sheer drapes billowing in the wind. I can picture him driving down the country roads with the top down in his Rolls-Royce or him staring out his window sadly across the water at the home of his love and obsession, Daisy Buchanan. It makes me want to pick up the book right now - preferably with a chilled glass of champagne lounging in a chaise on my deck.

I really enjoyed the film version that starred Robert Redford and Mia Farrow as well. Without a doubt the best part of this movie is the mansion - the architecture and glamorous decor and of course, the romantic outdoor landscapes! Just beautiful. This is what will ultimately drive me to the theaters to see the new movie this weekend. To be immersed in the glamour, style and the extravagance and to be transported back to a by-gone era that I have always been inspired by. As F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote: "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find out the high-priced rates on all amenities from deal hotel booking.

    These kind of exotic plantations allow for an unequivocable
    retreat in Kerala.

    My blog post :: organizacja imprez firmowych

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...